Beta readers?

It’s been weeks since I blogged here, but I’ve been blogging every day over at the writing blog I mentioned early in October. I like blogging every day, as it turns out. I’m not sure I should be doing it here, because, wow, spoilers galore when I write about writing, but it has felt healthy for me to post about my successes and failures over there.

And — the news! — I have finally finished the first draft of A Gift of Time. To be absolutely honest, it might suck. After seventeen months, I am apparently way too close to it to tell. So I might never publish it. But I’m looking for a few beta readers who are willing and able to be honest with me.

I’m not going to sell a bad book. Not, obviously, bad in the sense of poorly edited or sloppy, I would never do that. But books can be bad in other ways — flat, lifeless, awkward, unappealing characters, weakly plotted, etc, etc, etc. Writing groups will say, Oh, fix it in editing. And I’m a fan of editing. But I also think that as a writer, I learn more from writing new material than I do from interminable revisions on old material and this book has had a lot of revisions already. I’d rather move on and write something new than spend the next year revising this one.

So I need a few honest readers who will tell me what they think of it. And frankly, they might be the only people who get to see this story. If you would like to be one of them, either leave a comment (with your email address, obviously) or send me an email. I’ll send you a file, in the format of your choice — Word, epub, or Mobi.

13 thoughts on “Beta readers?

1. Anonymous says:

Hi Sarah, I can be a beta reader for you, but the problem is that I might not be critical enough – so it is up to you. I would be unhappy if I didn’t read it and you didn’t publish it, so hmmm. Please let me be a beta reader. Thanks.

2. catsongea says:

Hi Sarah, Sorry if this gets posted twice.. Yes, I can be a beta reader for you. Only problem is I am not really good at being critical, so it is up to you. epub works best for me.

• wyndes says:

Hi, Cat,
      I’ve got an epub file all ready for you but I don’t seem to have your email address. (Or can’t identify it as yours, anyway!) Send me an email to sarah at sarahwynde dot com, and I’ll send you the file.

As for being good at being critical, I’m pretty good at that part myself. :) I mostly need to know a) if you’re ever confused, b) if you ever get bored and stop reading, and c) how you feel about it when you finish, basically whether you would have been happy if you’d spent money on it.

I’ll be making some revisions, of course — fixing repetitions, cleaning up some awkward phrases or flat sentences, maybe doing some tightening, but if it seems as if it needs major rewrites (ie, at some point you stop reading because it’s just not all that interesting) I’m probably just going to move on and write the next thing, whatever that is.

• Teresa says:

Hi Sarah, I’d be happy to beta read A Gift Of Time. I really enjoyed the first two books. I have a Kindle Fire hd so Word or Mobi for the file should work. My email is: timelessyears at frontiernet dot net
        Thank you!

Teresa

3. 2katmom says:

i’d love to volunteer to read for you. Like catsongea, i’m not really a critic, but I can take note of confusion, boredom and overall if i enjoyed it or not as noted in your response to catsongea. I’d go for the mobi ( think that’s the kindle compatible option?)

4. 3xjudy says:

I’d love to beta read. If you want me too, word is what would work for me. Also, I am open to a list of ideas or questions you want answered along with my own impressions.

5. twitter_BLG says:

I know I am a bit late to the party, but I would be honored to read this for you. You know I am a fast reader…I remember sitting in the beach in Sarasota reading the first one. Regardless, I miss you!
    Barbara